About Catherine Hews, counsellor in Cheltenham
I am a trained counsellor. I have a Foundation Degree in Therapeutic Counselling and I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). This means that I adhere to their ethical framework and meet their professional standards of work.
I work with adults over the age of 18 with a range of life experiences.
- Foundation Degree Therapeutic Counselling (with distinction)
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills
Other studies I have completed
- Childhood Studies
- Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP, Level 1)
My Professional Journey
I started my professional career as a qualified Nursery Nurse and Montessori Nursery Teacher and started up my own private nursery school in 1997.
During the past 12 years I have worked with foster carers and adoptive parents giving training and mentoring in attachment issues and therapeutic parenting techniques.
I went on to gain my foundation degree in therapeutic counselling and through this training I became passionate about the transformational power of counselling and the healing that can come from being fully listened to and accepted within a therapeutic relationship.
I now run my own practice and continue to keep up to date with current research and attend regular training courses and workshops to continue my professional development as a counsellor.
Further Development Training
- Positive Psychology and Resilience
- A Study in Trauma and Somatic memory
- Polyvagal Informed Therapy
- Bereavement and Grief Counselling
- Attachment and Trauma
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy